NARUC CPI produces numerous publications each year to help support public utility commissions. These publications include foundational explanatory guides, how to materials, questions that commissions can ask their utilities, ‘state of the states’ resources, frameworks for decision making, and more.
CPI Publications Page
In addition to posting new resources on topically relevant webpages, CPI provides a central location for access to all recent publications, with newest materials at the top.
The CPI two-page factsheet includes links to recently released resources and recordings, registration links for virtual and in-person trainings, forthcoming engagement opportunities, and contact information for NARUC CPI staff. The factsheet is updated in advance of each NARUC conference (three times per year).
On-Demand, Video-Based Learning Modules in Spanish
In 2022, NARUC released more than 70 Spanish-language training videos on a range of electricity distribution systems topics. These learning modules include an introduction to regulation, distribution systems and planning, bulk power system issues, innovations in electricity system modeling, smart grid and electric vehicle interoperability, and more. The videos are intended to serve as a resource for public utility commissions in their efforts to increase stakeholder access and education for non-English speaking audiences on relevant regulatory issues.
On-Demand, Video-Based Learning Modules in English
NARUC hosts virtual training events with experts on electricity-related topics throughout each year. Video recordings are posted on NARUC’s YouTube channel and linked within topical webpages. Quick links are available for: electricity system planning, distribution systems and planning, innovations in electricity modeling, bulk power system issues, smart grid and EV interoperability.
DOE Technical Assistance for State Public Utility Commissions
The State Technical Assistance to Public Utility Commissions (PUCs) program is part of DOE’s Grid Modernization Initiative funded by the Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy’s Solar Energy Technologies Office as well as the Office of Electricity. The program is offered in conjunction with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL), Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) and Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
On January 20, 2023, DOE leaders from the Office of Electricity and Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy shared information about ongoing and new technical assistance programs available to state public utility commissions. View presentation.
In addition to three national conferences per year, NARUC routinely hosts virtual and in-person educational events. Topical pages within this website include links to recent and upcoming webinars, including recordings and presentation materials. The NARUC calendar includes links to NARUC’s twice annual Rate School, affiliated university training programs, and the live online Regulatory Training Initiative.
CPI Events Page
CPI provides an events page available on its section of the NARUC website that lists upcoming CPI events in chronological order. The CPI Events page is the most up-to-date place to learn about upcoming free virtual and in-person NARUC-hosted trainings, site visits, and workshops.
- NARUC-ESIG Bulk Power System Issues Training Series 2023. NARUC, the National Association of State Energy Officials (NASEO), and the National Association of State Utility Consumer Advocates (NASUCA) have partnered with the Energy Systems Integration Group (ESIG) to offer a series of virtual training sessions on the reliability of the bulk power system (BPS).
NARUC CPI hosts working groups for members on a variety of relevant topics to support ongoing learning from experts and peer sharing among members. Current state working groups hosting educational events and accepting new members include:
- NARUC Electric Vehicles State Working Group. Learn and discuss regulatory questions around transportation electrification, including charging infrastructure buildout, rate design, equity considerations, V2G, and more.
- NARUC Performance-Based Regulation State Working Group. Examine approaches to performance-based regulation and alternative ratemaking across states in a collaborative peer group setting.
- NARUC-NASEO Microgrids State Working Group. Explore capabilities, costs, benefits, and deployment strategies for microgrids with PUCs and State Energy Offices.
- NARUC-NASEO Grid-Interactive Efficient Buildings (GEB) State Working Group. Explore a suite of emerging technologies including GEB, flexible demand, building efficiency, and more with national experts and other leaders from PUCs and State Energy Offices.
Workforce Development Peer Advisory Group.
Supporting recruitment & retention for commissions.
NARUC is grateful for the support of the U.S. Department of Energy Office of Electricity, DOE Grid Deployment Office, DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, and National Institute for Standards and Technology which enable the resources and activities described on this webpage.
National Laboratory Partners:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL)
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- Argonne National Laboratory (ANL)
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)
NARUC staff experts who support these activities include: