Energy Adequacy and Capacity Accreditation
Speakers will discuss four different topics related to energy adequacy and capacity.
Presentations and Speakers:
Considering Energy in Adequacy Studies, Aidan Tuohy, EPRI
Resource Adequacy for Resource Planning , Elaine Hart, Moment Energy Insights
Resource Adequacy and Capacity Accreditation, Derek Stenclik, Telos
Example and Perspective from a Multi-State RTO, James Okullo, ESIG
Impacts of DERs on the Bulk Power System
Speakers will discuss: How do DERs impact real-time operations? If my state adopts the recent IEEE 1547 interconnection standard, will that fix the negative impacts of DERs on the bulk power system? How can DERs be used to reduce the need for new capacity resources?
- Dr. Ryan Quint, Senior Manager of Bulk Power System Security and Grid Transformation, NERC
- Dr. Jose Cordova, Engineer, EPRI
- Amber Motley, Senior Manager, Short Term Forecasting, CAISO
- Sam Whelan, Manager of Power Supply, Holy Cross Energy
- Michael DeSocio, Director of Market Design, NYISO
- Obadiah Bartholomy, Manager of Distributed Energy Strategy, SMUD
Speakers will discuss: What is an inverter-based resource and why should I care? What are the differences between grid-forming inverters and synchronous condensers; which technologies will be important in the future? Is low-inertia the main concern; will we run into such conditions soon?
- Jason MacDowell, Senior Technical Director, GE Energy Consulting
- Nick Miller, HickoryLedge
- Dr. Julia Matevosyan, Lead Planning Engineer, ERCOT
Speakers will discuss: How do wind, solar, and DERs change reserve requirements? What are essential reliability services and can you get them from wind, solar, and DERs? What role will hybrids play in the future? What is the future of gas/electric coordination? What are options for system flexibility?
- Dr. Debra Lew, Associate Director, ESIG
- Dr. Aidan Tuohy, Program Manager, Electric Power Research Institute
- Jon Olson, Director of Energy Trading and Contracts, Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD)
- Marc Keyser, Regional Director, Customer Affairs — Central Region, Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO)
Speakers will discuss: How should we think about resource adequacy in a future with high levels of wind and solar? Is the planning reserve margin concept still valid? How does resource adequacy relate to recent CAISO and ERCOT events? What do batteries offer in providing resource adequacy?
- Dr. Michael Miligan, Consultant/GridLab expert, formerly NREL
- Derek Stenclik, Founding Partner, Telos Energy
- Keith Parks, Senior Market Operations Analyst, Xcel Energy